Amended CHIMP Act Allows More Chimpanzees to Retire to Federal Sanctuary


Animal Blawg

Anne Haas

On Wednesday, November 27th, President Obama signed into law a Chimp Haven Photobipartisan bill to support the retirement of research chimpanzees.

Earlier this year, the National Institute of Health (NIH) announced plans to retire about 90 percent of U.S. government-owned chimpanzees currently used in medical research to Chimp Haven, a national chimpanzee sanctuary in Keithville, Louisiana. However, the Chimpanzee Health Improvement, Maintenance and Protection (CHIMP) Act, signed into law in 2000, placed a $30 million cap on spending for federally owned chimpanzees in sanctuaries. NIH was expected to reach that cap in mid-November, affecting both the retirement and care of chimpanzees in laboratories and at Chimp Haven.

View original post 142 more words

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Amended CHIMP Act Allows More Chimpanzees to Retire to Federal Sanctuary

  1. The fate of these creatures breaks my heart –as that of any creature tortured in laboratories. The incongruency is that non-human beings are abused to test things intended for humans, so we always read in the end “… it worked on [animal] but …”. Space exploration by NASA and Russia also abuses primates and big apes. They are born in captivity for the sole purpose of experimenting cruelly on them.

    Glad to hear about the 90% making their way to the sanctuary –but what about the remaining 10%?.

    • Quite! The poor old 10% seems to be still suffering. This, to me, is one of the worst forms of animal abuse. It is not ignorance or poverty. It is totally calculated, and by supposedly intelligent people. There is no excuse for it. They should know better.

      • I agree with you. This prompted me to write a petition years ago to the head of space exploration of Russia, not to use monkeys as cosmonauts. As you say, the calculated abuse these –and all other creatures in labs– suffer goes beyond what the mind can grasp.

Comments are closed.