What a wonderful way to celebrate and help these beautiful creatures.
WORLD ORANGUTAN DAY!
We’re celebrating one of our favorite great apes today! These magnificent beauties are intelligent, amazing and closely related to humans! They have one of the longest periods of child rearing in the animal kingdom, because learning to be an orangutan takes time. Unfortunately they are endangered, but we can help! Let’s learn some fun facts and then see how we all can protect these great apes!
- There are two species of orangutans, Bornean and Sumantran.
- The name Orangutan means man of the forest.
- Orangutans are arboreal. They spend most of their lives in the trees.
- They are mostly solitary.
- Baby orangutans stay with their moms for 8-10 years.
- Orangutans are extremely intelligent.
- They have culture. They share their patterns and behavior with their offspring and others.
- An adult male orangutan has an arm span of about 7 feet.
- Orangutans are frugivores.
- Orangutans build nests…
View original post 189 more words